“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our work, offering their time and talents to everything from the preparation of meals, to checking in homeless guests of the Night Shelter, to collecting donated food from around the community.
Opportunities are available for individuals of every age, interest, and schedule—days, evenings, and weekends. Call today for a tour and to explore the many ways that you can make a lasting positive impact on the lives of those in need, whether as an individual volunteer, family, group, or congregation.
If you are interested in volunteering or know someone who is, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator. We will be happy to discuss with you current volunteer opportunities and requirements in order to help you begin your volunteer experience with Good Shepherd Center.
Please note that due to our sensitive client base, we cannot assist with court-mandated or attorney recommended service hours.
- 1. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator.
- 2. Fill out a Volunteer Information Form so the agency can run a background check.
- 3. Wait for us to contact you to schedule your on-site volunteer orientation session.
- 4. At orientation, you will take a tour of the facility, become educated on agency programs, and have a discussion of the volunteer handbook and current volunteer needs.
- 5. Based on your availability and current needs, you will begin your invaluable role with the Good Shepherd team!
No matter how often or how much you decide to give of your time and energy, please know that your donation of time and talent is always appreciated and always valued. Because of this, we will work to help you find the best possible fit for you within our organization.
- Administrative/Office Support: Volunteers support staff with mailings, research, record keeping, filing, database management and other administrative duties.
- Second Helpings Drivers: Dedicated drivers with valid NC drivers licenses to volunteer one day a week from 8:30 am to 10:30 am. This entails driving a vehicle to pick up donations from a local grocery store, restaurant, or bakery. Without these amazing drivers, we have no food!
- Night Shelter: Multiple volunteers to help staff check in guests, approximately 4:30 to 6:30 pm daily. Duties range from answering phones to checking IDs and bags.
- Day Shelter: Support the shelter staff by assisting at the front desk. This includes answering the door, telephone, and guest questions.
- Day Shelter Drivers: Drivers needed to transport guests to work and appointments each weekday morning.
- Soup Kitchen: Currently there are limited availabilities in our Lunch and Dinner programs. We do have need for dishwashers most weekdays between 10am and 12:30pm. We have opportunities for weekday Breakfast volunteers or one-time weekend Lunch groups.
“Everyone can be great because anyone can serve.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.